Plan International Ethiopia
Company NAme: Plan International Ethiopia
Posted Date: 2023-09-15
Job Type:Full time
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over85 years, and are now active in more than 80 countries.
The role of the Communications and Media Coordinatoris to lead collaboration with program teams in the implementation of communications, advocacy and campaign strategies, media engagement plans, digital and social media strategies, visibility and communications plans for programs and Plan International Ethiopia’s brand roll-out. The post holder will work to ensure compliance with government requirements on campaign and advocacy initiatives.
The post holder will lead the production and development of communications materials that are necessary for communication with donors, stakeholders, government, beneficiaries and Plan International Ethiopia staff members. S/he will work on positive media relations with the local media outlets, to boost the public profile of Plan International Ethiopia, in addition to supporting program teams on advocacy initiatives.
ACCOUNTABILITIES AND MAIN WORK ACTIVITIES
Plan has a performance management and accountability matrix SOP. Every position holder is expected to adhere to the SOP and review and review her/his responsibility against the accountability matrix.
Content Development and Sharing Including Website and Social Media Content (40%)
- Develop and share quality communication materials to the donor: take photographs, and capture project highlights to share with the donor frequently (for example suitable for social media, as PowerPoints and written reports).
- Sharing of relevant information with the country office (CO) and National Office (NO) networks for learning and scaling up best practices
- Develop relevant case stories and share to the donors, partners, CO, and NO
- Develop effective communication and campaign strategies in consultation with the relevant program team at the country office and program areas, regional and global communication and campaign team, and other stakeholders.
- Collect strategic information and present it to the Head of Influencing and Communication for further advocacy work with communities, local authorities, policymakers, judiciaries, and youths.
Provide Internal Communication Support (20%)
- Ensure organizational initiatives and projects related information are timely and successfully communicated to employees, national offices, and other internal stakeholders.
- Work closely with Business development and program team to fulfil donor and project communication requirements and compliance.
- Prepare messages, speeches, or scripts for senior executives in written and spoken form
- Ensure internal communications messages are consistent across all mediums and for different departments of the organization.
- Provide technical support for CO and PA staff to develop their communication and writing skills.
- Ensure the proper use of Plan International brand Identity guidelines, communication protocol, and other related guidelines across the organization.
- Prepare the senior leadership team and other staff for media appearances and interviews.
External Communication and Networking (10%)
- Coordinate and communicate timely with other development networks with key decision makers, and liaison with national media
- Implement development strategies successfully to raise the awareness of the public and relevant bodies about Plan and the Alliance for gaining support to work together for the causes of high attritions.
- Network with existing and new partners and coordinate with them to receive and share strategic informations.
Event Management and Campaigns (10%)
- Represent and promote Plan International in important events at the community, municipal, zonal, regional, and national levels.
- In liaison with other communication, program, and operation staff, coordinate advocacy and campaigning initiatives to Plan’s global and local campaigns, ensuring appropriate messages and means to the local context.
- In liaison with other communication and program staff, shall ensure the production and dissemination of position papers and position statements, key messages on the campaign themes.
- Facilitate the participation of youths and community representatives in the various campaigns and events
Media Relations (10%)
- Take part in press conferences and briefings, develop fact sheets and talking points, and line up interviews and media related interviews in consultation with the Head of Influencing and Communication.
- Develop and maintain close contacts with relevant national and local Media.
- Liaison with regional, national, and global office team for any kind of continental or international media visits and content harvesting
Brand Management (5%)
- Manage creation and selection of high-quality pictures for print and electronic communications, suitable for social media, and share with user-friendly system and tools
- Establish and maintain linkages with key government, non-government and other groups to raise Plan’s image.
- Ensure the correct use of all the branding elements in all internal and external communications, public events.
- Capacitate Plan International Ethiopia and Implementing Partners staff to comply with the brand identity guideline.
Planning and reporting (5%)
- Work with colleagues in Influencing and Communications, HR and MEAL department to do the annual, quarterly and other reports and plans as necessary for the department and the unit on time and to the desired quality.
- Work with Program, Partnership, HR and other relevant teams to respond to various relevant requests and support in reporting.
- Work with regional and global influencing, communication and campaign colleagues to provide content and input and for regional and global level initiatives, research and reports.
Safeguarding Children and Young People (Safeguarding) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI)
- Understands and puts into practice the responsibilities under Safeguarding and GEI policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), ensuring that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Ensures that all staff in the unit/function/department are properly inducted on and understands their role in upholding Plan International’s safeguarding and GEI policies;
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in day to day work.
- Ensures that Plan Ethiopia contributes to Plan International’s global efforts to ensure safeguarding and GEI, including making sure that relevant reporting and data are submitted.
Qualifications/ Experience Essential:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications, Journalism, Development Communication, Behavioural Communication, Literature or Social Sciences.
- Strong experience in designing communication materials and campaigns on social issues such as child rights, human rights, workers’ rights, gender-based violence or child exploitation and abuse.
- Proficiency in MS office tools, publisher, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Photoshop.
Qualifications/ Experience Desirable:
- Five years of related experience with international NGOs or multinationals pertinent work experience preferably related to children and human rights.
- Good media relations and knowledge of social media
- Fluency in English and Amharic language is essential (perfect written and spoken)
- Knowledge of other local and international language is desirable
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
We create a climate of trust inside and outside the organisation by being open, honest and transparent. We hold ourselves and others to account for the decisions we make and for our impact on others, while doing what we say we will do.
We strive for lasting impact
We strive to achieve significant and lasting impact on the lives of children and young people, and to secure equality for girls. We challenge ourselves to be bold, courageous, responsive, focused and innovative.
We work well together
We succeed by working effectively with others, inside and outside the organisation, including our sponsors and donors. We actively support our colleagues, helping them to achieve their goals. We come together to create and implement solutions in our teams, across Plan International, with children, girls, young people, communities and our partners.
We are inclusive and empowering
We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge inequality in our programmes and our workplace. We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives. We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential.
How to Apply
The closing date for the application is September 25, 2023. Qualified candidates should submit their applicationwith the links provided below.
For internal applicants:
For external applicants:
This position is only open to Ethiopian Nationals, who must be eligible to live and work in Ethiopia.
Please note that:
- Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- We are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated links.
- Early application is encouraged as we will review applications throughout the advertising period and reserve the right to close the advert early.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged to Apply
More information about Plan International can be found onhttp:// plan-international.org
References will be taken and background and anti-terrorism checks will be carried out in conformity with Plans Child Protection Policy. Plan operates an equal opportunities policy and actively encourages diversity, welcoming applications from all persons meeting the skills and experience required.
As an international child centered community development organisation, Plan International is fully committed to promoting the realization of children’s rights including their right to protection from violence and abuse. That means we have particular responsibilities to children that we come into contact with.
Plan International believes that in a world where children face so many threats of harm, it is our duty to ensure that we, as an organisation, do everything we can to keep children safe. We must not contribute in any way to harming or placing children at risk.