Company NAme: ALIGHT
Posted Date: 2023-09-14
Job Type:Full time
Hello Hello! Alight is recruiting a Finance Assistant to be based in Mekelle, Tigray Region. You’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here!
If you join us, you will find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
Alight (formerly American Refugee Committee) is an international non-profit organization with its headquarters located in the United States. Alight has provided humanitarian assistance to millions of beneficiaries in 29 countries over the past 40 years, currently reaching over 10 million refugees, IDPs, and disaster-affected communities in 17 countries around the world, helping people regain control of their lives after conflict and natural disasters. Alight maintains full-fledged humanitarian programs in Somalia, Uganda, Rwanda, Sudan, South Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Pakistan, Thailand, and Myanmar. Alight is currently responding to humanitarian situation in Ethiopia.
The overall objective of the Alight (ARC) in Ethiopia program is to prevent death and alleviate human suffering among affected internally displaced persons (IDPs) in settlements and host communities where we work. Alight has embarked on WASH, Health, Protection, and livelihood activities in Ethiopia and expand to other parts of the Country. Alight is taking a multi-sectoral approach in responding to the severe drought conditions through a range of activities including Health, Relief Commodities and WASH.
The Ethiopia Program of the Alight (ARC) has fully-fledged offices in Addis Ababa, Mekelle, Semera, Amhara liaison offices in Ethiopia. Alight is working closely with national and regional authorities and with several Ethiopia -based international and national organizations to galvanize coordinated lifesaving humanitarian assistance to the people in need.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
Under the direct supervision of the Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant is responsible for managing Cash and bank transacting and will assist in the processing and recording of payment transactions in timely and accurate manner. The Finance Assistant will be based in Mekelle and will assist in the coordination of finance related tasks for ALIGHT Ethiopia Mekelle office and ensure that timely processing of payments with adequate support documentation.
- Manage safety and ensure safe custody of the office Petty Cash held according to Alight policies and procedures.
- Prepare cash payment and bank vouchers and ensure that all transactions are fully and properly documented, reviewed, and authorized by the supervisor and management.
- Perform weekly and monthly cash count with the Finance officer.
- Prepare checks and cash payments based on fully approved documents and ensure that they are reviewed and signed accordingly.
- Prepare transaction reports and ensure adequate support documents for the weekly financial review by the Senior Finance Officer and for posting.
- Maintain a proper document filing system for all finance documents for custody and safe storage.
- Carry out additional financial transaction reviews to ensure accuracy and fully documented before payments are made.
- Support in the field offices at the end of monthly (EOM) submission of financial reports is received in time.
- Preparation of Journal entries for review by the Finance officer.
- Contributes to the ongoing process of continuous improvement of the financial management system and internal control.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Alight and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least a university degree in accounting, business administration and other related field.
- 3 years of relevant experience in the relevant field, preferably NGO experience.
- Computer proficiency in use of standard MS Office packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Computation and accuracy skills preferred.
- Good written and verbal communication skills required.
- Fluency in English and other native languages required.
KEY BEHAVIORS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent coordination and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, and ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- High level of confidentiality and integrity.
- Experience of working under high pressure, in fast-paced environments and ability to handle multiple priorities in an autonomous manner.
- Strong service orientation with the ability to proactively approach staff to understand their needs and to find effective solutions.
- NGO experience
- Understanding of and commitment to the “Humanitarian principles”
- Understanding of and commitment to Alight code of conduct and organizational goals
How to Apply
Interested and qualified applicants can send motivation/cover letter and updated Resume (not more than 3 pages) to email@example.com before September 24th, 2023 COB.
- Please, indicate the position/title applied for in your cover letter and subject of the email.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Only qualified applicants will be shortlisted and contacted.
- Open to Ethiopian nationals ONLY.
“QUALIFIED FEMALE CANDIDATE ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY”