Company NAme: TechnoServe
Posted Date: 2023-09-14
Job Type:Full time
Salary: As per the Organizations Scale
Title: Finance Officer
Reports To: Senior Financial Controller
Direct Reports: None
Employment Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa
Everyone deserves the opportunity to build a better future. This simple idea has been at the heartofTechnoServe’swork around the world for over 50 years. TechnoServe is a pioneer in leveragingthe power of business and markets to create sustainable pathways out of poverty.
The low-income communities in which we work are full of enterprising people. Their small-scale farms and businesses are the keys to economic development. But they face many challenges: low literacy, lack of access to jobs and markets, unpredictable political dynamics and, increasingly, the effects of climate change. For many women and young people, the challenges are even more daunting.Working with TechnoServe staff, people around the world are lifting themselves out of poverty. The results are amazing…when incomes increase and living conditions for families get better, they are able to access health care and education previously out of reach. Communities and even whole countries are better off.
The Finance Officer is responsible to provide finance and accounting services to project and program managers with a moderate support by the controller. This position will be responsible for performing highly specialized accounting and financial tasks. The Finance Officer may have direct contact with project managers and TNS vendors which require moderate interpersonal communication skills both written and verbal.
The position holder may be required to meet tight deadlines and accounting activities including general journal/ledger preparation, daily submission and posting of accounting data to the accounting system, assist completion of time entry for Ethiopia proxy group in Databasics and assist in the year end pre-audit review process.
Duties and Responsibilities
Financial management & accounting tasks:
• Process accounting data recording with accurate, appropriate and adequate documentation before submitting for approval in NAV.
• Assist the daily running and extraction process of expense and advance reports from Databasics for importation to NAV
• Prepare journal entries by ensuring the accuracy of financial transactions for Account ID, Geography, Task Code, ARC, Responsibility Center and other dimension codes in NAV.
• Comply with International Public Sector Accounting Standards whenever vouchers are prepared.
• Assist the review process of the journal vouchers to correct and/or adjust/update accounting records;
• During preparing documents for settlement, confirm that procurement processes adhered to TNS policy, legal and contractual obligations and donor standards;
• On a monthly basis, monitor and track the assigned debtors (card balances)/creditors balances for timely liquidation.
• Prepare bank reconciliation and petty cash reconciliation at the end of the month.
• Perform month end reconciliations for Travel and project advances and report it to the controller promptly.
• Prepare monthly employees’ payroll before being approved and paid off.
• Perform settlement of payroll taxes, provident fund, and withholding tax on timely basis
• Perform timesheet completion for Ethiopia proxy group as assigned by the Databasics group and troubleshoot any issues as soon as raised.
Regulatory & Statutory Compliance
- Ensure compliance with TNS policies and procedures, donor requirements and local laws.
- Reconcile and ensure all statutory payments are intact and settled within the government deadline.
- Maintain high levels of confidentiality in relation to sensitive and confidential financial data, decisions and issues;
- Ensure compliance requirements of IPSAS and the ACSO regulation.
- Asset Management
- Ensure the existence of effective management, monitoring, and tracking of TNS properties.
- Assist the country controller in reviewing the asset register is periodically.
- Take part in the year end physical count of fixed assets.
Financial Reporting/ Analysis
• Report controller of the outstanding balances of debtors and creditors for timely settlement.
• By 2nd of each month, ensure all ledgers and sub-ledgers are reconciled on daily basis with the objective of having clean MoVs at the end of the month.
• Contact individuals or entities with delinquent accounts for clearance.
• Manage monthly and annual financial closings, and prepare financial reports / statements as required.
Field Office Support
. Assists the accounts manager in providing technical assistance and serve as a backstop person for field office accountants.
. Coordinate monthly report submissions by Field Offices. Ensure submission is of financial documents by 15th each month.
- Assist the controller in monitoring budgets and ledger balances.
- Assists the accounts manager in facilitating audit undertakings.
- Undertake other related works as instructed by the Financial Controller.
- Orient, train, motivate, assign, coach, evaluate and apprise employees reporting to this position.
- Degree in Accounting and finance from a recognized institution.
- Bachelor’s Degree + 3 years experience, Master’s Degree + 1 year experiencein accounting, preferably with an international NGO.
- Sound knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
International Public Sector Accounting Standards
- Excellent skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Proficiency in English (written/spoken).
How to Apply
Qualified and interested applicants should click on the below link
and submit a cover letter resume as a single document (either Word or PDF) by September 21, 2023. Applications will be reviewed and considered as received/on a rolling basis. Only applicants meeting minimum qualifications will be contacted. Please note that we are not accepting CVs that are not sent through the indicated link.
We encourage all qualified individuals who share TechnoServe’s vision of improving the lives of others through proven business solutions to apply.
With our commitment to diversity, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer andaffirmative action employerand do not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, HIV/AIDS status, protected veteran status, disability and all other protected classes.
We are also proud of our commitment to protecting staff, partners, and beneficiaries from abuse and exploitation and thoroughly vet all final candidates through rigorous background and reference checks.
If you have a disability that affects your ability to use our online system to apply for a position at TechnoServe please contact the Human Resources email@example.com call +1 202 785 4515.