British Embassy Addis Ababa
Company NAme: British Embassy Addis Ababa
Posted Date: 2023-09-13
Salary: USD 414 per month and medical is equivalent to $345/ annum ($172.50 for 6 months)
The British Government is an inclusive and diversity-friendly employer. We value difference, promote equality and challenge discrimination, enhancing our organisational capability. We welcome and encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We do not discriminate on the basis of disability, race, colour, ethnicity, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other category protected by law. We promote family-friendly flexible working opportunities, where operational and security needs allow.
The purpose of the internship positions is to support young people with the potential to make a lasting contribution to Ethiopia’s development to make a great start to their professional career. The placement will focus on developing knowledge and experience in specific parts of our portfolio and learning about the broader development sector upon completion of the placement. We are launching an internship programme because:
- We want to lead by example. Lack of work experience is a key challenge young graduates face as they enter the workforce. By offering internships – which are critical paths to bridge this transition – British Embassy Ethiopia hopes to play an exemplary role to other organisations in the sector. We plan to lead by example in communicating the importance of corporate social responsibility in contributing to youth skills and employability.
- We want to give space for development of skills and aim to equip entry-level work force with proper competency skills. British Embassy Ethiopia offers a chance of working in a diversified and dynamic context and aims to embed work-relevant skills, information and experience by opening opportunities to support teams within and cross office activities.
- We want our work to benefit from young people’s insights and we want to infuse our embassy with insights, energy, out of the box thinking of Ethiopian youth, as we strive to make our programmes more effective and relevant to youth.
Roles and responsibilities
The successful candidate will be embedded in one of the teams in the Embassy. The candidate will work with teams to identify and coordinate events, will be engaged in a diversified set of tasks across the Embassy and fulfil tasks set out in the job description. The candidate will work on programme delivery and corporate tasks, including analysis of issues assigned to, financial management, logistics, and program management.
DURATION: 6 months with a possibility of extension up to 12 months
Essential qualifications, skills and experience
The opportunity is available to those who graduated in 2022 and 2023 holding a Bachelor of Arts degree of any field of study and with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00.
Other benefits and conditions of employment
Upon completion of the internship, the candidate will have developed professional skills that they can use in the wide variety of fields in their future career, especially in the development sector, gaining a better understanding of working in an international environment. The position also offers the opportunity to increase skills in communication, participating in various activities to identify issues and propose solutions to problems and working with others. The Intern will also have an opportunity to participate in various on-line/ face-to-face learnings and practical learning through opportunities to participate in field visits.
How to Apply
- Please complete the application form in full as the information provided is used during screening.
- Please check your application carefully before you submit, as no changes can be made once submitted.
- The British Embassy willneverrequest any payment or fees to apply for a position.
- The current Terms and Conditions of Employment will apply to all internal locally employed staff on promotion and new entrants subject to local employment labour law.
- Candidates may need to apply for a valid certificate of good conduct when applying and should be no older than 6 months.
- All candidates must be legally able to work and reside in the country of the vacancy with the correct visa/work permit status or demonstrate eligibility to obtain the relevant permit.
- The responsibility lies on the successful candidate to:
- The British Embassy does not sponsor visas/work permits except where it may be local practice to do so.
- Employees who are not liable to pay local income tax on their Mission salary may have their salaries reduced by the equivalent local income tax amount.
- Information about the Civil Service Success Profiles can be found on this link:https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/success-profiles
- Reference checking and security clearances will be conducted on successful candidates.
- Please log into your profile on the application system on a regular basis to review the status of your application.
Please be aware that you will only be able to apply to vacancies for Country Based Staff roles with the British Government through this official tal.net site (operated by Oleeo). Jobs may be advertised on third party websites, however our adverts will always link back to the official tal.net site. If you complete and send an application through any other site, we will not receive it.