International Organization for Migration - IOM
Company NAme: International Organization for Migration – IOM
Posted Date: 2023-09-15
Job Type:Full time
Salary: As per UN Salary Scale – NOB (USD 2,359.00)
SPECIAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT (SVN)
Open to Internal & External Candidates
Mekele, Tigray, Ethiopia
Type of Appointment
Special Short-Term Graded Contract for 6 months, with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date
As soon as possible
15.09.2023 – 30.09.2023
Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental Organization in migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental, and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall and administrative supervision of the head of sub-office for the Tigray region and technical supervision of the ES/NFI Cluster Coordinator, the successful candidate will support the ES/NFI Cluster Coordinator to coordinate the ES/NFI response in Tigray Region by leading the sub-national ES/NFI Cluster structure in the region. The selected candidate will effectuate IOM’s commitment to work within the Inter-Agency Standing Committee (IASC) framework and the Cluster Approach. As a result, the selected candidate coordinates a response in an environment that requires high accountability standards and demonstrable leadership, coordination, negotiation, and conflict-resolution skills. The principles of partnership and collaboration are essential.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Needs assessment and gap analysis
1. Support coordination within the ES/NFI Cluster or at an inter-cluster level for rapid ES/NFI needs assessments, as well as participatory assessments (multi-sector, initial rapid assessments, and humanitarian needs) at the sub-national level; be familiar with and ready to choose from existing tools to confirm that the ES/NFI Cluster covers all identified humanitarian ES/NFI needs of the affected population.
2. Assist the ES/NFI Cluster in collecting information from all ES/NFI partners on Who’s Where, since and until When, doing What (4Ws), and regularly feed the Activityinfo database managed by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UN-OCHA).
3. Together with the ES/NFI national Cluster, contribute to the development of the Humanitarian Response Plan and any Response as well as contingency planning, ensuring proper linkages with the disaster risk reduction, relief, and recovery to complement the regional preparedness/response plans.
4. Comply with national and international norms and standards and facilitate the mainstreaming of cross-cutting issues in the ES/NFI Cluster response and implementation plans, taking into account the need for local adaptation.
Coordination of the ES/NFI Cluster at the sub-national level
5. Coordinate the implementation of optimum sub-national ES/NFI Cluster coordination in assigned areas by providing adequate technical and operational guidance to relevant authorities and partners.
6. Establish, maintain, and strengthen appropriate sub-national Cluster coordination meeting structure.
7. Support adequate ES/NFI services coverage for the targeted population by carrying out regular capacity and prioritization resource mapping to ensure that the response is appropriate to the needs.
8. Identify urgent technical gaps and training needs concerning technical standards and protocols for delivering key ES/NFI services to ensure harmonization.
9. Participate in the establishment of appropriate links among humanitarian actions and longer-term ES/NFI sector plans, incorporating the concept of “building back better” and specific risk reduction measures.
10. Convene and facilitate consultative and results-oriented meetings in line with the principles of partnership. Organize and conduct joint support missions to field operations.
Resources mobilization and funds allocation
11. Participate and contribute to the ES/NFI Cluster’s development of resource mobilization efforts.
Monitoring and evaluation
12. Assist the ES/NFI Cluster to develop, adapt, and implement an indicators’ monitoring framework to ensure adequate implementation of the ES/NFI Cluster plans; empower partners’ active involvement in joint monitoring of individual and common plans of action for ES/NFI interventions. Promote peer exchange of experiences and lessons learned within the Cluster partnership.
13. Represent ES/NFI Cluster in the field and conduct field visits in close collaboration with partners’ government counterparts.
14. Identify core advocacy concerns for the ES/NFI Cluster through a consultative process: coordinate joint Cluster/ inter-Cluster initiatives to ensure regular and consistent advocacy is conveyed to the Emergency Operation Centres (EOC) and the national level ES/NFI Cluster RC/HC and humanitarian country team. Advocate for collective action, collective results, and collective accountability.
15. Represent the ES/NFI Cluster in inter-Cluster coordination mechanisms in Tigray; contribute to identifying critical issues requiring multisectoral responses and plan the relevant synergistic interventions with the other Clusters concerned.
16. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
§ Master’s degree in Disaster Management, Architecture, Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
§ University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience
· Experience in liaising with governmental and diplomatic authorities as well as with national and international institutions.
· Knowledge of shelter-related technical guidelines and standards;
· Experience in humanitarian programs for migrants and capacity-building activities;
· Familiarity with financial and business administration;
· Sound and proven understanding of internal and international migration issues in the region and related issues;
· Experience in working in environments with significant security challenges is an advantage
· Experience in project implementation and management experience, including project monitoring and reporting;
· Knowledge of the region is an advantage.
· Knowledge of Cluster functions
· Knowledge of the region is an advantage.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written).
Working knowledge Tigrigna and other local languages.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work composed, competent and committed and exercises careful judgment in meeting daily challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are required toapply viaEthiojobs.net.
- Motivation/Application letter indicating the short vacancy number and position title as mentioned in the short vacancy notice.
- CV (written in English) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone)
- Copies of all Academic Certificates from an Accredited University
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!