Danish Refugee Council
Company NAme: Danish Refugee Council
Posted Date: 2023-09-17
Job Type:Full time
Employment Category: F1
Reporting To: Head of Programs
Start of Contract & Duration: 12 Months
Expected Start Date: January 02, 2024
Required Employee: 1
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia, including WASH and shelter provision, youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising protection monitoring and livelihood support for vulnerable communities affected by conflicts and shocks.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Protection manager for Ethiopia leads DRC’s protection programming across the country and technically oversees all of DRC’s protection activities, including protection monitoring and analysis, case management, psychosocial support, community-basedprotection, access to justice, and gender-based violence prevention and response. He/she provides technical oversight to DRC’s protection activities across the different operations, ensuring the improvement and application of harmonised quality standards, represent DRC is key humanitarian coordination forums, and support a consistent integration of a rights-based approach into all DRC’s programme activities across the country. He/ She directly manages a team of 6 technical people in the country office and technically manages protection managers/ Team leaders in the field, ensuring well being and capacity building of the team.
Team management, capacity-building and supervision
- Direct and technical manager of a team of technical protection staff in Addis supporting the field offices
- Responsible for the recruitment of staffs in Addis office and participate in the recruitment of sectoral Managers and Teams leaders on the field in coordination with the line manager (revise JD, design technical test, correct the technical parts of the tests and member of the interview panel). Oversee the probation period and participate in fixing the objective of the staffs.
- Organize the appraisal of the staff in Addis and participate in the appraisal of the technical staffs on the field.
- Promote professional development by identifying training and capacity building opportunities and ensure technical staff are well versed in core technical concepts, DRC’s code of conduct, accountability, respectful dialogue with the affected communities, and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse.
- Provide technical supervision to technical staff across DRC’s field sites, in collaboration with Area managers;
- Develop staff capacities on protection approaches through training, mentoring and coaching.
- As a senior member of the coordination team, active and relevant participation in the coordination and strategic aspects of the mission.
- Revise the Country level sector strategy and lead its implementation
- Ensure harmonization of standards and approaches and develop guidelines and Standard operating procedures for activities as relevant. Ensure the team are trained in the use of the SOPs and tools
- Conduct field visits to ensure quality implementation in line with international and DRC standards, and identify needs for capacity building
- Ensure that ethical and statistically-sound data collection and sectoral-related information management systems are in place and used for Conduct and support regular sectoral analysis and advocacy work for the country office and produce reports to be used for information or advocacy purposes.
- Strengthen protection mainstreaming and AGD approach in the country office by providing support to the country office and field offices as well as the other sectoral teams
- Represent DRC in sectoral coordination meetings, such as the Cluster, Strategic advisory groups and working groups as agreed with the Head of Programme;
- Coordinate with the Authorities relevant for the sectors, UN agencies, INGOs and NNGOs and other key stakeholders on the provision of sectoral services;
- Represent DRC sectoral programming in meetings with donors as requested by the Senior management team
- Work closely with other agencies to implement common sectoral standards and develop common strategies and responses
- Promote improved understanding of sectoral issues among all relevant stakeholders and ensure the observance of international sectorial and humanitarian standards.
Participation in the Project Cycle Management
- Review technical aspects of needs assessments TOR, questionnaires and reports and provide technical inputs to improve the quality and use of the data for DRC
- Participate in the identification of State and Humanitarian partners involved in the relevant sector of intervention through technical review of their documents/ processes and activities.
- Participate in the design of project proposals and budgets by preparing or reviewing technical components to ensure high quality standards are met and proposed activities are in line with DRC global and country strategies, cluster strategies and government strategies.
- When the project starts, ensure the implementation strategy of the sectoral activities is in line with DRC technical guidelines
- Undertake quality control and site monitoring to ensure that services provided are according to international best practice standards for DRC and partners’ activities;
- In coordination with the MEAL Manager, review strategic MEAL tools and products to improve their quality and use
- In coordination with the Grants Manager, review strategic donor reports to ensure quality assurance to donor and other DRC reports relevants to the sector;
- Participate in relevant internal project monitoring meeting (Kick off meeting, Project Monitoring Meeting and Close Out Meeting)
- Contribute to protection mainstreaming in all DRC field offices.
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating:You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead:You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating:You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity:You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 5-8 years’ work experience within the field of law or protection, particularly within the field of migrant/IDP/refugee protection;
- Previous experiences as a protection manager or coordinator with a country wide management aspect preferred
- Specific experience in protection monitoring, community based protection, PSS and GBV is desirable
- At least 5 years with humanitarian NGO’s, UN agencies, relevant ministries and/or local authorities in migrants/refugee/IDP settings in complex emergencies;
- Demonstrated experience coordinating with and supporting national and local authorities as well as humanitarian coordination forums;
- Prior experience or familiarity with issues relating to mixed migration is a strong advantage;
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently unsupervised;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and adapt in a complex and challenging environment;
- Experience with capacity building, and in convening and facilitating trainings and workshops;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective and working relations with staff members and other stakeholders
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- University degree in gender studies, social sciences, law, social work, international development, or other relevant field from a recognized institution
LANGUAGE: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent verbal and written proficiency in English.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online application formhttps://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationInit.aspx?cid=1036&ProjectId=169188&DepartmentId=19012&SkipAdvertisement=trueunder Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than October 01, 2023.
The screening process for this position is on rolling basis, so early submission of applications is encouraged. DRC reserves the right to start with the next steps in the recruitment process prior to the closing date, should we identify a suitable candidate
We encourage both qualified Ethiopian Nationals and Expats to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.