Danish Refugee Council
Company NAme: Danish Refugee Council
Posted Date: 2023-09-18
Job Type:Full time
Salary: USD 540.00 to USD 656.00
Title: Protection Officer – Community Based Protection
Location: Dollo Ado
Employment Category: H2
Reporting To: Protection Team leader
Posting date: September 16, 2023,
Required Employee: 1
Salary: USD 540.00 to USD 656.00 based on you work experience and educational qualification.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Protection Officer – Community Based Protection will be directly responsible for delivering quality protection interventions in accordance with protection minimum standards and DRC Ethiopia’s protection strategy, under the supervision and guidance of the Protection Team Leader and the Protection Manager. S/he will be responsible for establishing and supporting community-protection groups, including the development of community protection analyses to better understand context-specific protection risks and appropriate solutions. The CBP Officer will further support community groups in developing and implementing community driven initiatives to address the identified protection risks, provide technical support, and monitor the implementation and impact of the initiatives. The CBP Officer is also expected to work in close coordination with the protection monitoring team to strengthen DRC’s protection analysis and community engagement.
Responsibilities: (in bullet points)
· Carry out Community protection analysis and prioritization of protection risks
· Support establishment of community-based protection groups
· Guide the communities in design and implementation of community action plans
· Monitor the community driven initiatives
· Ensure that individuals in need of protection services and/or assistance, identified through Community-Based Protection and other activities, are timely and adequately referred to the relevant services either internally or externally.
· Ensure the adherence to ethical data collection and data protection and data sharing protocols throughout protection activities;
· Carry out activities according to work plan and allocated budget in accordance with protection standards and the guidance of the protection team leader
· Follow all protection guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), including appropriate tools based on the job responsibilities, and provide regular feedback to technical unit on additional needs
· Carry out any additional protection activities as assigned from the protection team leader and protection manger;
Reporting and administrative responsibilities
· Support provision of regular updates on project implementation, including weekly reports, including challenges or barriers to implementation;
· Prepare and submit weekly progress report on protection activities to protection team leader;
· Ensure that project activities are properly documented and reported
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating:You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead:You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
· Communicating:You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity:You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
· Minimum of 2 years’ experience in an entry to mid-level position in humanitarian protection or relevant social service field;
· Experience in Somali region is strongly preferred;
· Experience in direct implementation of Community-Based protection activities
· Proven record of community engagement and consultation, such as assessments, trainings, workshops, or awareness sessions
· Technical understanding of core protection concepts, prevention and response strategies in line with best practices and ethical data collection and data protection protocols;
· Experience in identifying and responding to needs of particular vulnerable individuals of people of concern based on protection risks, age, gender, and diversity analysis, and/ or other criteria;
· Strong planning, organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to work both independently and within a team;
· Integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure;
· Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures;
· Full proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel; proficiency in Kobo and other data collection/analysis tools desirable
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
· University degree in social work, social science, law or other relevant field from a recognized institution.
· Excellent skills in speaking, reading and writing English, Amharic And Somali
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form onhttps://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationInit.aspx?cid=1036&ProjectId=169192&DepartmentId=19012&SkipAdvertisement=trueunder Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later thanSeptember 30, 2023.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consultwww.drc.ngo
Gender Equality:DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender-gap.
Equal Opportunities:DRC is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.