Website Nutrition International (NI), the former Micronutrient Initiative
Company Name: Nutrition International (NI), the former Micronutrient Initiative
Posted Date: 2023-11-16
Job Type: N/A
#Business and Administration, Consultancy and Training, Social Sciences and Community
The National Food and Nutrition Strategy (FNS)) launched in 2021 prioritize and state the following adolescent health and nutrition strategic initiatives.
Strategic direction 4.6: Improve the nutritional status of adolescents 10-19 years of age.
- Provide nutritional assessments and counselling services for adolescents at all contact points.
- Promote good nutrition behaviour and prevent harmful traditional practices.
- Prevent and mitigate macro and micronutrient deficiencies in adolescents.
- Ensure access to adolescent-friendly reproductive health information and services for boys and girls.
- Develop and enforce minimum standards on nutritional and health services for adolescents in special situations, including but not limited to refugees and internally displaced persons, disabled adolescents, homeless adolescents, orphans, neglected adolescents and adolescents in food insecure areas and PSNP woredas.
- Support adolescents’ empowerment
- Promote the implementation of school health and nutrition programmes to improve the nutritional status of school children.
Strategic direction 7.1: Improve nutrition through the provision of adequate WASH services.
- Strengthen the implementation of institutional WASH activities in schools with full WASH package facilities (drinking water, latrines, MHM facilities, urinals, hand washing and solid waste disposal facilities
The proposed investment case will help focus the country on gaps in adolescent nutrition and wellbeing that need to be addressed and provide a reference point to ensure coordinated actions among various government departments and other stakeholders. In order to achieve a comprehensive adolescent health and nutrition program implementation in Ethiopia, the following objectives are the basis for developing a 5-year investment case:
- Document country-level data related to current financing and commitments to achieve adolescent health & nutrition program outcomes and strategic initiatives that are prioritized and listed in the National Food & Nutrition Strategy
- Define investments needed within National Food & Nutrition Strategy framework to achieve the key adolescent health & nutrition program outcomes.
- Present a compelling case, including return on investment, for a prioritized set of investments needed to achieve adolescent health & nutrition program outcomes and strategic initiatives that are prioritized and listed in the National Food & Nutrition Strategy.
This is why the five-year investment case will be a compelling advocacy and communication tool to influence policy influencers, donors, and partners by outlining the high returns that can be realized by increasing coordinated investments in the delivery of high-impact, cost-effective gender responsive adolescent health and nutrition interventions in accordance with the FNS, as well as by outlining the full range of costs associated with the interventions and the full range of benefits that result from them in adolescence and beyond.
Objective & scope of the assignment
The main objective of the consulting service is to provide Ministry of Health practical technical assistance in developing a 5-year investment case backed by an advocacy plan and resource mobilization that will direct and commit MoH and its partners in achieving adolescent health and nutrition program outcomes and strategic initiatives that are prioritized and listed in the National Food & Nutrition Strategy.
Thus, the consultant will be responsible for undertaking the following tasks in consultation & close collaboration with MoH and NI
Planning: Develop a concept note with advocacy brief to win agreement and commitment from MoH and its partners to launch a comprehensive adolescent health and nutrition program in Ethiopia over a five-year period, supported by an advocacy strategy and resource mapping.
Conduct Situational & Stakeholders Analysis
In order to make sure that the development of the country investment case does not duplicate existing efforts and that the approach and methodology to be used in the investment case make use of information and data from existing in-country efforts, the concept note & advocacy strategy shall be informed by rapid situation analysis including a desk review of existing costing and investment cases related to adolescent health & nutrition program outcomes and strategic initiatives that are prioritized and listed in the National Food & Nutrition Strategy and also looking at adolescents within social assistance programs and considering adolescents within maternal nutrition and health strategies.
Conduct stakeholder mapping to identify and determine MoH’s stakeholders for key adolescent health and nutrition advocacy and communication actions.
Perform a problem-tree mapping exercise to better comprehend the challenges, opportunities, and gaps that MoH and its stakeholders must overcome to successfully advocate the scale up of the comprehensive adolescent health & nutrition program tha responds to the age and stage needs of diverse adolescents and implementation in line with the FNS and AYHS as per the country’s investment case.
Use specified tools to undertake costing and modelling for the investment case, including a hierarchy of high impact and cost-effective interventions that should be prioritized with targeted investments in line with adolescent health & nutrition program outcomes and strategic initiatives that are prioritized and listed in the National Food & Nutrition Strategy. This will include:
- Data collection using pre-structured templates to collect all of the necessary data needed for the country investment case.
- Developing scenarios to model scale-up of the prioritized investments
- Generating cost and potential impact results
- Assessing current and projected financial envelope and expected resource gaps.
- Complete writing-up and submit the country’s a 5-year investment case for comprehensive adolescent health and nutrition program implementation.
Advocating for the investment case
- Develop Advocacy & communication strategy for the country’s a 5-year investment case for comprehensive adolescent health and nutrition program implementation and strengthening of other programs (MNHN, Social Safey Nets) to reach and benefit adolescents.
- Translate cost and impact into the advocacy objectives.
- Develop advocacy actions (activities, tactics, and core messages) and its implementation, monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Conduct consultation workshop with policy influencers and other stakeholders from key FNS implementing sectors and their prominent partners with objectives of
- Communicating and validating the results from the country investment case
- Review and validate the advocacy actions & communication strategies (i.e., activities, tactics, and core messages) and its implementation, monitoring and evaluation framework.
- Conduct resource & partners mapping exercise.
- Finalize the revision of the country investment case supported with advocacy & communication strategy integrating with the consultation workshop findings.
The expected deliverables include but are not limited to the following:
- An inception report that details the consultancy assignment: approach, methodology and workplan
- Development of a situation analysis of the adolescent health & nutrition landscape in Ethiopia including partner and program mapping across sectors by age and stage for adolescents, reflecting diversity
- Written document of a 5-year investment case
- Data on current financing and funding commitments to adolescent health and nutrition program outcomes and strategic initiatives that are prioritized and listed in the National Food & Nutrition Strategy, critical funding gaps and strategies to reduce the funding gap available and documented.
- Business case options, including funding suggestions, innovative financing strategies, and expected results such as return on investment related to and associated with adolescent health and nutrition program outcomes and strategic initiatives prioritized and listed in the National Food & Nutrition Strategy versus current scenarios.
- Costing for the list of strategic actions and outcomes for adolescent health and nutrition that have been chosen as their top priority for scaling up in the upcoming five years.
- Development of the Advocacy & communication strategy for advocating the investment case
- Advocacy actions ((i.e., activities, tactics, and core messages) with suggested materials and tools developed.
- Implementation plan along with the monitoring and evaluation framework developed.
- Resource & partners mapping for a five-year investment case developed.
Required qualification and experience.
- Postgraduate degree in accounting or finance, business management, economics or health-economics.
- Direct work experience related to health or nutrition financing (preferred) or nutrition or related fields.
- Keen interest in current affairs of adolescent nutrition and an appreciation of their impact on health and development
- Experience with costing, budget analysis, resource tracking or resource mobilization in Ethiopia a strong plus.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and quantitative skills, with experience in analytical tools re financing (costing, expenditure tracking, etc.).
- High level of organization, attention to detail, professionalism, and reliability and ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in English required.
- The ability to work effectively in a team and demonstrated ability to provide Technical Assistance to Government.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are requested to send the following information:
Technical proposal including a submission/cover letter, availability of a consultant, information on experience, and implementation plan
Your detail CV or CVs of all consultants involved in the assignment with three references
Financial proposal including daily rates, costs for travel, accommodation, per diem, and/or professional/consultancy /subcontracting fees
Recent samples of two comparable pieces of work
Please include in the subject line for submission: Consultancy – ANP investment case.
To the address: Program.applicationETH@NUTRITIONINTL.ORG
Due date: November 30, 2023, before 5:30 PM
The application must be in a single file.